python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 14:08:11 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:31:23 PM UTC+5:30, ru... at yahoo.com wrote:

> Are the existence of laws against beating people up
> negated because you told them in advance?  Or negated
> because they "deserve" the beating?

One of the fundamental purpose of laws is to legalize what you call 'beating-up'
Goes by the names like jail-sentences, fines and ultimately capital punishment.

Civilization would not be possible without these.

BTW the etymological roots of 'civilization' come from 16th century usages such as "I shall civilise thee with my rod"

> Does it make any difference if the beating is for
> their own good?  (In the beater's opinion?)  (In
> the majority opinion?)

As a good Christian I believe that Chris tried more than anyone else on this list to help Nikos before talking recourse to another gem of biblical wisdom:
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

And when Nikos moves up from petty criminal status to responsible citizen, I bet he will thank Chris more for all his real-help cum chastisement than your honeyed charity-at-others-expense.

> Does it make any difference if there are ways other
> than beating of communicating the message?  How long
> and how hard should those alternate ways be tried
> before resorting to beating?

Here are a couple of random Chris' posts picked up from the dung-heap of Nikos threads.  Anyone will see that they represent a genuine and active context of trying-to-help.  Yes, there is irritation, frustration, humor etc but always actively in the context of trying actively to help Nikos.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-June/648158.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-June/648167.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-June/648200.html

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-June/648224.html

Now multiply that by a couple of orders of magnitude and you get the extent Chris tried to help before deciding to wield the rod.

BTW where were you then, when all this genuine but ultimately futile help-attempting was going on?

And if you feel so strongly about this as you claim how come you did not protest when Chris clearly gave the warnings about his impending actions on this list that 'feedthetroll' has kindly reminded us about?