python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 13:08:46 EDT 2013

On 07/02/2013 07:24 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>[...]
> On the other hand, I've certainly learned a lot in my newbie days from
> being told off quite harshly by some of the Python community alphas, like
> the Effbot Fredrik Lundh, and Alex Martelli. It hurts to be told you're
> an idiot by one of the alphas, but sometimes you need to be told you're
> an idiot[1]. Even if you're not, realising that others think you are
> builds character[2].

True, for some people, some times.  As your [2] footnote admits
it can be damaging as well.  I have noticed that the ratio of
female to mail posters here (at least as I can guess from names)
seems far lower than the same ratio of programmers where I've
worked.  I asked a female programmer once why she didn't use
groups like c.l.p. and she cited harshness and bickering as the
main reason.  Obviously a sample of one doesn't prove anything
but...

Effbot was around when I first started reading c.l.p and
although I immediately recognized his contributions to and
knowledge of python, I always questioned whether his positive
contributions weren't negated by his negative ones.  (Consider
how many positive things he contributed <i>that wouldn't have
been mentioned by someone else had he not posted them</i>,
versus the disruption caused in reaction to his attitude.)