python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 2 21:24:22 EDT 2013

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:30:32 -0700, rurpy wrote:

>> Needless to say, I disagree with your position. There is no place for
>> baseless insults in this community; but when the behaviour of someone
>> in this community is harmful, then it is entirely appropriate to use
>> clear terms (e.g. “incompetent”, “inconsiderate”) to describe their
>> behaviour.
>
> Those are anything but clear.  They are subjective and highly judgmental
> and frequently applied one-sidedly. (Not "rude" when an alpha poster
> here says it but "rude" when someone else does.)

That is a very good point. One of the reasons I do not use the Python IRC
channel is that in my experience anyone disagreeing with the privileged
few's *opinions* gets banned without either warning or explanation.

On the other hand, I've certainly learned a lot in my newbie days from
being told off quite harshly by some of the Python community alphas, like
the Effbot Fredrik Lundh, and Alex Martelli. It hurts to be told you're
an idiot by one of the alphas, but sometimes you need to be told you're
an idiot[1]. Even if you're not, realising that others think you are
builds character[2].

The difference is that, as a rule, the alphas don't get suckered into
interminable flame wars that suck the life out of a community. Short,
harsh, surgical strikes is one thing. Four years of trench warfare is
another thing altogether.

[1] And for the record, I can think of two specific cases, although I may
have forgotten others. In one case I think time has proven that I was
right in my opinion, or at least the opinion of the Python devs shifted
towards my viewpoint (introduction of tuple methods). In the other I have
come to accept that Alex Martelli was right, although I still think that
*failing an assignment* for a single unnecessary global declaration is
unfairly harsh.

[2] Sometimes it builds stronger, better character. Sometimes it builds
weaker, broken character. It's all character.

--
Steven