python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 19:18:27 EDT 2013

On 2 July 2013 23:34, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Joshua Landau <joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com> writes:
>> There is not ever a place on this list where you will need to call
>> someone incompetent.
>
> So even if that term describes their behaviour and manner, you think
> no-one should ever point it out?

Yes. I see no instance where it would be needed or helpful.

>> > So what are the non-insulting terms for
>> >
>> > incompentent, (starting a webservice in a language you're a newby in,
>> > making changes on the life server so that any typo you make, can take
>> > your site out the air),
>>
>> You just did it.
>
> So you agree the correct term to use *is* “incompetent”, as Anton said.
> Yet you don't want Anton to use the correct term.

What? No, I think you misread what I intended in that post.

I said that rather than attacking Niko's integrity by calling him
incompetent, it is better to, for example, explain to him that he is
"starting a webservice in a language you're a newby in, making changes
on the life server so that any typo you make, can take your site out
the air". Given, of course, that that is what prompted you to want to
call him incompetent in the first place.

Saying "you don't understand what you are doing" and "you are
incompetent" are in this case interchangeable, except one involves
making the other feel hurt. You don't need to do that, nor does it
help anyone.

> Needless to say, I disagree with your position. There is no place for
> baseless insults in this community; but when the behaviour of someone in
> this community is harmful, then it is entirely appropriate to use clear
> terms (e.g. “incompetent”, “inconsiderate”) to describe their behaviour.

Firstly, describing someone's behaviour and describing someone's
character are two completely different things. The second is far more
judgemental and unhelpful than the first. Antoon is describing
people's character. You are talking about describing their actions.

Secondly, as I said, I have few objections to the term
"inconsiderate". Fewer still when describing a behaviour.

As for calling someone incompetent, it would be wrong to associate
incompetence with harm to this community. People were not upset -- at
least I was not upset -- from Nikos being incompetent. Many people on
this list lack skills. This is fine, everyone's unlearnt at some
point. Some stay unlearnt forever. People were upset because of his
manner, his demanding, his overbearing, him acting selfishly, etc.

I will never complain to you calling someone rude, especially not
calling someone's actions rude.
I will never complain to you calling someone overbearing, especially
not calling someone's actions overbearing.
I will never complain to you calling someone's actions selfish.
etc.

I may disagree, and I may voice disagreements, but you have right to
speak up if you feel mistreated. Please don't believe I think
otherwise. Calling someone incompetent is an attack, and is not the
same. If you cannot see the difference, I'm not sure what more I can
say.

I feel it is reasonable to continue my correspondence with you
on-list, but if it spawns more than a few more posts I would rather
take it off-list. I have no objections if you would like to Cc Antoon
Pardon in the process, seeing as it's his post involved.