python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 2 18:34:02 EDT 2013

Joshua Landau <joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com> writes:

> On 2 July 2013 13:01, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> > Please answer the following question. If someone behaved
> > incompetently, how can I clearly state that fact when
> > "incompetently" is seen as an insult and insults don't belong on the
> > list?
>
> There is not ever a place on this list where you will need to call
> someone incompetent.

So even if that term describes their behaviour and manner, you think
no-one should ever point it out?

> > So what are the non-insulting terms for
> >
> > incompentent, (starting a webservice in a language you're a newby in,
> > making changes on the life server so that any typo you make, can take
> > your site out the air),
>
> You just did it.

So you agree the correct term to use *is* “incompetent”, as Anton said.
Yet you don't want Anton to use the correct term.

Needless to say, I disagree with your position. There is no place for
baseless insults in this community; but when the behaviour of someone in
this community is harmful, then it is entirely appropriate to use clear
terms (e.g. “incompetent”, “inconsiderate”) to describe their behaviour.

--
 \          “One bad programmer can easily create two new jobs a year. |
  `\      Hiring more bad programmers will just increase our perceived |