python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue Jul 2 03:22:33 EDT 2013

Op 01-07-13 21:28, Joshua Landau schreef:

> Well then you are wrong. But fine, I'll use your definition incorrect
> as it may be (when talking to you, please don't misrepresent my other
> posts).
>
> Nevertheless, these statements that we are talking about, that I shall
> now term "pseudo-insults", are unwanted and not called for. Please
> keep them off-list.
This doesn't make sense. This means that someone can behave like a jerk
on this list, later tries to spin his behaviour as some innocent exchange
of ideas and make it near impossible for others to make it clear what
bullshit he is peddling because stating clearly how much like a jerk he

behaved would be insulting. This is giving those who are behaving badly

a huge advantage.

>> Well nobody is representing the list. So where does that leave us?
> I am afraid you are wrong. The body of people of this list, as a
> whole, represent this list. As a whole, as I have shown, they resent
> your pseudo-insults. rusi is an exception, who only seems to resent
> Nikos's, but rusi has not fallen to pseudo-insults himself (herself?).
You have shown no such thing. You have shown some people who resent
my speaking clearly. That doesn't mean much, those that resent
something are always making more noise than those who don't care or
would even prefer it that way.

>> And perhaps I am causing a lot of trouble, that doesn't mean I am
>> wrong. Maybe it is time to question the way this list in general
>> tries to avoid trouble.
> Irrelevant. Your pseudo-insults are unwanted. Please stop. Argue all
> you want - I'm not going to judge who's right. But I'd rather you
> appreciate that no-one wants your pseudo-insults on this list.
You have no authority to speak for everyone. You can't be even sure
you speak for a majority, because once some small minority starts
to speak up and pretend they speak for the whole group those who
think differently often enough don't speak up.

But for your ease of mind I'll make it clear I have no intention
of haunting Nikos or of keeping him the subject of discussion.
But should I stumble on a conversation in which his past behaviour
is framed as him being innocentltly asking questions, I will point
of what bullshit that is.

--
Antoon Pardon