python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 15:28:58 EDT 2013

On 1 July 2013 20:12, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 01-07-13 18:56, Joshua Landau schreef:
>

>> To put things in perspective, these are the people who have been
>> insulting on this post:
>>
>> Mark Lawrence (once, probably without meaning to be insulting)
>> Nikos
>> Antoon Pardon
>

> I don't consider something insulting if it can be supported
> by argument and evidence.
>
> I stand by my statement that Nikos behaved like incompetent
> inconsidered jerk can be supported as such. So if this
> is insulting it only is in the same matter that the
> truth can be insulting.

Well then you are wrong. But fine, I'll use your definition incorrect
as it may be (when talking to you, please don't misrepresent my other
posts).

Nevertheless, these statements that we are talking about, that I shall
now term "pseudo-insults", are unwanted and not called for. Please
keep them off-list.

>> And here are the people who have reminded them to stop:
>>
>> Steve Simmons
>> Steven D'Aprano
>> Andrew Berg
>> Walter Hurry
>> rusi
>> Joshua Landau (me)
>>
>> So yes, Antoon Pardon and Nikos, please stop. You are not representing
>> the list. I haven't followed any of the other arguments, true, but you
>> two in particular are causing a lot of trouble for the rest of us. It
>> is not hard to avoid making your disagreements public.
>

> Well nobody is representing the list. So where does that leave us?

I am afraid you are wrong. The body of people of this list, as a
whole, represent this list. As a whole, as I have shown, they resent
your pseudo-insults. rusi is an exception, who only seems to resent
Nikos's, but rusi has not fallen to pseudo-insults himself (herself?).

> And perhaps I am causing a lot of trouble, that doesn't mean I am
> wrong. Maybe it is time to question the way this list in general
> tries to avoid trouble.

Irrelevant. Your pseudo-insults are unwanted. Please stop. Argue all
you want - I'm not going to judge who's right. But I'd rather you
appreciate that no-one wants your pseudo-insults on this list.