Please provide a better explanation of tuples and dictionaries

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. dwrousejr at nethere.comNOSPAM
Tue Jan 29 21:55:10 EST 2013

Hi all,

I have recently started learning Python (2.7.3) but need a better
explanation of how to use tuples and dictionaries.

I am currently using "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz and David Ascher,
published by O'Reilly (ISBN 1-56592-464-9)--but I find the explanations
insufficient and the number of examples to be sparse. I do understand some
ANSI C programming in addition to Python (and the book often wanders off
into a comparison of C and Python in its numerous footnotes), but I need a
better real-world example of how tuples and dictionaries are being used in
actual Python code.

Any recommendations of a better book that doesn't try to write such compact
and clever code for a learning book? Or, can an anyone provide an example of
more than a three-line example of a tuple or dictionary?

The purpose of my learning Python in this case is not for enterprise level
or web-based application level testing at this point. I initially intend to
use it for Software QA Test Automation purposes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.