Python to send Midi commands to iPad via USB

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:22:24 EST 2013

On Jan 24, 3:31 pm, mikp... at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am asking for a design/strategy suggestion.
>
> What I have to do is to write a Python application that will send MIDI commands to an iPad application.
> All I know is that the iPad application can be connected to an external Midi deck through a usb cable and be controlled.
> So I think I would connect the iPad via USB to my computer and... try to send midi commands.
> I think the limitation is that the iPad will allow signaling/connection only to Midi devices, so I have to make so that my Python script pretends that my computer is a Midi device.
> So far I have tried PyUSB library and I can see the iPad, but I can't send anything to it (probably because I am not pretending to be a Midi device well enough).
>
> I am keen to try PyUSB + pygame for the Midi stuff.
>
> Any suggestion / recommendation / hint / whatever to tell me?
> I appreciate every idea at this stage!
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Mik

Some suggestions:
1. The linux audio list will serve you better than the python list for
this line of questions
2. Before worrying about python get your 'plumbing' right with
dedicated midi s/w like rosegarden, qtractor etc
3. [I dont understand much midi but…] look at aconnect, aseqnet in
addition to pmidi, aplaymidi
4. On some recent linuxes, (notably ubuntu) timidity is broken thanks
to pulseaudio. In particular, timidity as a normal program works does
not imply that timidity as a server works