Parse a Wireshark pcap file

Kevin Holleran kdawg44 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:01:14 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM, John Evans <john.g.evans.ne at gmail.com>wrote:

> The import "from scapy.all import *" does work for me with macports and
> 10.6.8  When I installed the scapy port, I did see that macports installed
> the py27-libdnet package as well.
>

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:43:24 -0500, Kevin Holleran <kdawg44 at gmail.com>
>> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>>

>> > Mac OS 10.8.2
>> > Python v.2.7
>> > I downloaded from the sourceforge site, then tried to install with
>> MacPorts
>> > when some dependencies were failing.  I then downloaded & installed
>> > pcapy-0.10.6 when that dependency still failed.  That solved that but I
>> > received the dnet error:
>> >
>> >     from scapy.all import conf
>> >   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/all.py", line 16, in
>> > <module>
>> >     from arch import *
>> >   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/__init__.py", line
>> 75,
>> > in <module>
>> >     from bsd import *
>> >   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/bsd.py", line 12,
>> in
>> > <module>
>> >     from unix import *
>> >   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/unix.py", line 20,
>> in
>> > <module>
>> >     from pcapdnet import *
>> >   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/pcapdnet.py", line
>> > 160, in <module>
>> >     import dnet
>> > ImportError: No module named dnet
>> >
>> > So I downloaded and compiled libdnet-1.11 with a:
>> >  $ sudo ./configure && make
>> >
>> > I see it compile fine & the libraries have been installed to:
>> > /usr/local/sbin/dnet
>> >
>> > However, python can't find it... I am not clear on how to point Python
>> > there...
>> >
>>         "libdnet" is likely a shared object binary... What I /think/ you
>> are
>> missing is the Python library that interfaces with that binary...
>>
>>         Could http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dnet answer the question?
>> --
>>         Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
>>         wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> John Evans
>
> --

I downloaded scapy manually since for some reason, after using macports, it
wouldn't find the package at all.

I am also trying to install libdnet manually as mentioned above, so after
./configure && make I go into the python directory & do a  python setup.py
install, which generates a bunch of warnings & the following two errors:

/dnet.c:2729:4: error: assignment to cast is illegal, lvalue casts are not
supported
  ((PyObject*)__pyx_v_next) = Py_None; Py_INCREF(((PyObject*)__pyx_v_next));
./dnet.c:2741:6: error: assignment to cast is illegal, lvalue casts are not
supported
    ((PyObject *)__pyx_v_next) = __pyx_3;

Thanks again for any help.  Need to get all this working for this
mini-project and also because I am starting a SANS class that leverages
scapy quite a bit...

Kevin