Using filepath method to identify an .html page

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:43:53 EST 2013

On 01/22/2013 11:13 AM, Ferrous Cranus wrote:
> a) I'am a reseller, i have unlimited ftp quota, hence database space

Space doesn't even come into the equation.  There's virtually no
difference between a 4-digit number and a 100-character string.  Yes
there is an absolute difference in storage space, but the difference is
so miniscule that there's no point even thinking about it.  Especially
if you are dealing with less than a million database rows.

>  b) I'am feeling compelled to do it this way

Why?  Who's compelling you?  Your boss?

> c) i DO NOT want to use BIG absolute paths to identify files, just
> small numbers , shich they are easier to maintain.

No it won't be easier to maintain.  I've done my share of web
development over the years.  There's no difference between using a
string index and some form of number index.  And if you have to go over
the database by hand, having a string is infinitely easier for your
brain to comprehend than a magic number.  Now don't get me wrong.  I've
done plenty of tables linked by index numbers, but it's certainly harder
to fix the data by hand since an index number only has meaning in the
context of a query with another table.

> Your solution i know it works and i thank you very much for
> providing it to me!
>
> Can you help please on the errors that http://superhost.gr gives?

Sorry I cannot, since I don't have access to your site's source code, or
your database.