Using filepath method to identify an .html page

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Tue Jan 22 11:11:35 EST 2013

On 01/22/2013 10:46 AM, Ferrous Cranus wrote:
> Thank you but the number needs to be a 4-digit integer only, if its to be stored in the database table correctly.
>
> pin = int( htmlpage.encode("hex"), 16 )
>
> I just tried whayt you gace me
>
> This produces a number of: 140530319499494727...677522822126923116L
>
> Visit http://superhost.gr to see that displayed error. I think it
>
> Why did you use "hex" for? to encode the string to hexarithmetic? what for?

There are plenty of people (but not me) giving you database advice, but
you don't want it.

Apparently you do have web access, so why aren't you looking up the
functions that don't behave the way you think they should?

This page has the built-in functions:
     http://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html

To get quickly to a particular function, follow the link from the
function name at the top of that page.

""""""
int(x=0)
int(x, base=10)
Convert a number or string x to an integer, or return 0 if no arguments
are given. If x is a number, it can be a plain integer, a long integer,
or a floating point number. If x is floating point, the conversion
truncates towards zero. If the argument is outside the integer range,
the function returns a long object instead.

If x is not a number or if base is given, then x must be a string or
Unicode object representing an integer literal in radix base.
Optionally, the literal can be preceded by + or - (with no space in
between) and surrounded by whitespace. A base-n literal consists of the
digits 0 to n-1, with a to z (or A to Z) having values 10 to 35. The
default base is 10. The allowed values are 0 and 2-36. Base-2, -8, and
-16 literals can be optionally prefixed with 0b/0B, 0o/0O/0, or 0x/0X,
as with integer literals in code. Base 0 means to interpret the string
exactly as an integer literal, so that the actual base is 2, 8, 10, or 16.

The integer type is described in Numeric Types — int, float, long, complex.
""""""""

Are there words in there which are unclear?  A filename is a string, but
it doesn't represent an integer literal in any base, and especially not
in base 10.

--
DaveA