Slightly OT: What metro areas are best for a software development career?

Jason Hsu jhsu802701 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:18:19 EST 2013

I am looking for a position as a software development engineer.  I'm currently learning to develop Android apps (http://www.jasonhsu.com/android-apps), and I use Python for implementing Doppler Value Investing (http://www.dopplervalueinvesting.com) and for developing Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org).  NOTE: Thanks to those of you who answered the questions I asked as I developed Doppler Value Investing.

I currently live in Minnesota about 50 miles west of Minneapolis, and I am considering moving.  What are the best metro areas (Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Twin Cities, Boston, NYC, DC, etc.) for a software development career, how would you rank them, and why?

The Twin Cities metro area has a technical community portal called http://tech.mn .  Are there analogous technical community portals for other metro areas?