Sending a broadcast message using raw sockets

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:19:14 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Peter Steele <pwsteele at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact, I have used scapy in the past, but I am working in a restricted environment and don't have this package available. It provides tones more than I really need anyway, and I figured a simple raw socket send/receive can't be *that* hard. I may have to reverse engineer some C code, such as dhclient...

Yeah, I think you're working with something fairly esoteric there -
bypassing the lower tiers of support (routing etc). Chances are you
won't find any good Python examples, and C's all you'll have. Are you
reasonably familiar with C?

Point to note: Raw sockets *may* require special privileges. Some
systems require that only root employ them, for security's sake.

ChrisA