Uniquely identifying each & every html template

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:24:18 EST 2013

On Jan 21, 5:55 pm, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 10:39 pm, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is a very old problem (still unsolved I believe):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
>
> +1 internets for referencing my most favourite thought experiment
> ever :)

+2 Oscar for giving me this name.

A more apposite (to computers) experience:

Ive a computer whose OS I wanted to upgrade without disturbing the
existing setup. Decided to fit a new hard disk with a new OS.
Installed the OS on a new hard disk, fitted the new hard disk into the
old computer and rebooted.

The messages that started coming were: New Hardware detected: monitor,
mouse, network card etc etc. but not new disk!

Strange! The only one thing new is not seen as new but all the old
things are seen as new.

So…
Ask a layman whats a computer and he'll point to the box and call it
'CPU'.
Ask a more computer literate person and he'll point to the chip inside
the box and say 'CPU'
Ask the computer itself and it says 'Disk'.

Moral:
Object identity is at best hard -- usually unsolvable