Twisted or Tornado?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:39:33 EST 2013

On 02/28/2013 05:28 PM, Jake Angulo wrote:
> My requirements for this framework in descending order: 1) Easy to
> use API 2) Widely available documentation / Examples / Community
> contributions 3) Feature-wise - kinda most that you commonly need is
> there

By this I take it you mean you want to export a standard web services
API, right (RPC over HTTP)?  Or are you insisting on writing your own
protocol?

If it's the first, I recommend something like web2py.
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/10.  Or Django.  Sounds heavy
but it's really not that bad especially if you don't need a real web UI,
but are just exposing an RPC api.

If it's the second, then, well, yes Twisted will work great, provided
you can understand how it works. It's actually not that complicated, but
python's dynamic nature can sometimes hide how things work from you at
first and what exactly is getting passed around from function to
function.  Took me about a month to really grok Twisted.  Now that my
project is done (quite successful actually... a full-blow LDAP proxy
server), I have forgotten much about how Twisted works.

In another vein, there's node.js as well.  Apparently it's being used a
lot to implement quick and dirty services like what you need.

> I prefer opinion from those who have programmed real projects in it -
> not just read some blog or Slashdot :P

Ha.