Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 20:22:17 EST 2013

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:17:22 PM UTC-6, Jason Swails wrote:
> Just to throw in my 2c -- in the same way that 'a picture
> is worth a thousand words', an interactive interpreter is
> worth volumes of documentation (especially one with such a
> nice help()/__doc__ functionality).

Yes! I don't even know why people care about the Python docs anyway. One of the most under-appreciated (and maybe even unknown) aspects of the Python language is the power of doc strings and the help function. Not to mention the awesome introspection capabilities via a few built-in functions:

    id(obj)
    isinstance(obj, type)
    issubclass(obj, klass)
    repr(obj)
    type(obj)
    bool(obj)
    dir(obj)

As for the docs:

I would say that if you are searching for a "particular something" (and the help function has failed you), then skip the docs and use Google instead. The docs only seem to work well when read in a "linear" fashion; with exception of the "global module index" and the "language reference" sections.

As for the "official tutorial", do yourself a favor and DON'T read it (or never read it) until AFTER you are comfortable with python. It's not so much that the tutorial is lacking, it's more that the tutorial uses poor example code and as such is an abomination. That's my opinion anyway. There are tons of great python tutorials on the web.

> You aren't sure what errors are thrown by a particular
> function?  Fire up an interpreter and feed the function
> junk.  You'll get your answer faster than you can Google,
> and often learn neat stuff along the way.

Yes! Interactive sessions are what make python so damn great! If you don't have an editor window and a shell window open when writing (python) code, you are doing something wrong.

> (I recall one of
> RR's posts that actually had some good tips to learn-via-
> interpreter).

I don't remember the exact thread off-hand, but i must admit you can find loads of great information in my threads! :-P