Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:17:22 EST 2013

Just to throw in my 2c -- in the same way that 'a picture is worth a
thousand words', an interactive interpreter is worth volumes of
documentation (especially one with such a nice help()/__doc__
functionality).  It's worth pointing out that 'interpreter' appears in the
original rant once (according to ctrl-F, whole thing was tl;dr):

Want to know how the Python interpreter deals with input Y? Read the
source. And so on, and so on.

Not: "Open up an interpreter and input Y"

You aren't sure what errors are thrown by a particular function?  Fire up
an interpreter and feed the function junk.  You'll get your answer faster
than you can Google, and often learn neat stuff along the way. (I recall
one of RR's posts that actually had some good tips to
learn-via-interpreter).

Also, I'll bet the way I learned Python effectively would seem like
nails-on-a-chalkboard to others -- and vice versa.  The 'one-size-fits-all'
doesn't work for documentation.  Complete and concise often battle, with no
clear winner.

And his representation of the Python community does not appear to be
representative of my experience (threads begun via trolling rants
notwithstanding).  But he's ranting on his blog; not a big deal really.

--Jason