Python trademark under attack -- the PSF needs your help

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 15 22:53:52 EST 2013

Stefan Behnel wrote:

> I'm sure it's a pure marketing thing for their domain. I'd expect the
> number of links to their site to rise rapidly during the next weeks,
> that's very likely worth the bit of money they'd pay to their lawyer(s).

I doubt that. The amount of time required to make a trademark application is
significant, measured in months or years of elapsed time and persons-days
or -weeks, in effort.

> Seriously - who's ever heard of them before this? So it worked already,
> didn't it?

Just because they aren't Microsoft or Apple doesn't mean they aren't a
serious vendor in their space.

> My advice: don't mention their name or their domain in any of your blog
> posts etc., and definitely don't link to them.

This would be the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" theory.

--
Steven