Python trademark under attack -- the PSF needs your help

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Feb 15 07:15:25 EST 2013

Giles Coochey, 15.02.2013 12:24:
> On 14/02/2013 21:52, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The Python Software Foundation is the organisation which protects and
>> manages the "boring" bits of keeping a big open source project alive: the
>> legal and contractual parts, funding for projects, trademarks and
>> copyrights.
>>
>> If you are based in Europe, or know somebody who uses Python in Europe, the
>> PSF needs your help.
>>
>> There is a company in the UK who has applied to trademark the name "Python"
>> and are claiming the *exclusive* right to use the word "Python" for
>> software, servers, and web services over the entire European Union.
>>
>> You can read more about this here:
>>
>> http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2013/02/python-trademark-at-risk-in-europe-we.html
>>

>> If you have documentation of European user groups, trade associations,
>> books, conferences, scans of job advertisements for Python programmers,
>> software that uses some variation of "Python" in the name, etc. your
>> evidence will be helpful in defeating this attempted grab of the Python
>> name.
>>
> Err...
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=python
>

> One would think that is enough. 8,457 published results - practically all
> of them referring to Python (the language), none to my knowledge referring
> to [domain stripped]
>
> Surely and open/shut case.

I'm sure it's a pure marketing thing for their domain. I'd expect the
number of links to their site to rise rapidly during the next weeks, that's
very likely worth the bit of money they'd pay to their lawyer(s). Seriously
- who's ever heard of them before this? So it worked already, didn't it?

My advice: don't mention their name or their domain in any of your blog
posts etc., and definitely don't link to them.

Stefan