UnicodeEncodeError when not running script from IDE

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 06:01:19 EST 2013

On 2013.02.12 04:43, Magnus Pettersson wrote:
> I am using Eclipse to write my python scripts and when i run them from inside eclipse they work fine without errors.
>
> But almost in every script that handle some form of special characters like swedish åäö and chinese characters etc i get Unicode errors when running the script externally with python.exe or pythonw.exe (but the scripts run completely fine from within Eclipse (standard pydev projects, python2.7). I have usually launched the script gui from wihin eclipse because of this error but now i want to get the bottom of this so i dont have to open eclipse everytime i want to run a script!
>
> Here is the error i get now when running the script with python.exe:
> UnicodeEncodeError:'charmap' codec cant encode character u'\u898b' in position 32: character maps to <undefined>
>
> what can i do to fix this?

Since you didn't say what code actually does this, I'll turn to my
crystal ball. It says you are trying to print characters to a terminal
that doesn't support them. If that is the case, you could try changing
the code page (but only 3.3 supports cp65001, so that probably won't
help) or use replacement characters when printing.

--
CPython 3.3.0 | Windows NT 6.2.9200.16461 / FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE