UnicodeEncodeError when not running script from IDE

Magnus Pettersson magpettersson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 05:43:17 EST 2013

I am using Eclipse to write my python scripts and when i run them from inside eclipse they work fine without errors.

But almost in every script that handle some form of special characters like swedish åäö and chinese characters etc i get Unicode errors when running the script externally with python.exe or pythonw.exe (but the scripts run completely fine from within Eclipse (standard pydev projects, python2.7). I have usually launched the script gui from wihin eclipse because of this error but now i want to get the bottom of this so i dont have to open eclipse everytime i want to run a script!

Here is the error i get now when running the script with python.exe:
UnicodeEncodeError:'charmap' codec cant encode character u'\u898b' in position 32: character maps to <undefined>

what can i do to fix this?