Statistics...help with numpy/scipy install

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 14 00:29:09 EST 2013

On 2/13/2013 9:38 PM, Rex Macey wrote:
> I am sure I have python installed. I have been running it. in command
> line the window title is c:\python33\python.exe.  The first line
> begins Python 3.3.0. Later in the line is the string "64 bit <AMD64>]
> on Win32".
>
> Thus it appears I am trying to run a 32bit numpy with a 64bit python.
> (Seems like a big ole 64 bit python should be able to swallow a
> little 32 bitty numpy). Is there a 64bit numpy? If not why not?

Ask the numpy people. I am surprised since a reason to be using 64
rather than 32 bit python is to have objects larger than 2 gigabytes and
memory larger than 4 gigabytes. Numerical/scientific programming is
relatively likely to need such.

> someone get on this? Seriously, I'm under the impression that I need
> the 64 bit python because I have a 64 bit OS.

If you look on your C: drive, you should have both 'Program Files' and
'Program Files (x86)' directories. The latter is for 32 bit programs.

--
Terry Jan Reedy