Statistics...help with numpy/scipy install

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 13:14:51 EST 2013

On 02/10/2013 10:35 AM, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS).  Learning
> programming mainly for fun.  Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who
> doesn't want the latest and greatest).  What I want involves
> functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google
> research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires
> NUMPY.   I don't seem to find an install that works for my
> environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an
> install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not, is
> there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet
> and install an earlier version of Python.  Suggestions and comments
> appreciated. Thanks.

A casual google search seems to indicate that for now, SciPy and NumPy
are for Python 2.x (2.7 is the latest).  I could be wrong though and
often am.  I know a number of popular and useful packages are not yet
available on Python 3.

If you need to do a lot math stuff, there's a complete python system
that bundles a lot of these tools together into a nice package.  It's
called Sage.  http://www.sagemath.org/

There are several non-python packages out there that are really handy as
well:
- R - if you need to do statistics. http://www.r-project.org/
- Octave - a matlab-compatible language. http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
- SciLab - a math package that has a nice gui. http://www.scilab.org