Is Python programming language?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sat Feb 9 18:26:36 EST 2013

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

>IMO, a "scripting language" is used to automate tasks that would
>otherwise be done by a human sitting at a keyboard typing commands.
>[Perhaps that definition should be extended to include tasks that
>would otherwise by done by a human sitting and clicking on a GUI.]

I think that definition is a little too neat and clean.

Most people would call bash a "scripting language", but it is also clearly
a programming language.  It has syntax, variables and expressions.  I
suspect it is Turing-complete, although I haven't seen a proof of that.

I would assert that scripting languages are a proper subset of programming
languages, not a separate category.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.