Is Python programming language?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 8 12:59:07 EST 2013

On 2013-02-08, Stephane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> wrote:
> * gmspro <gmspro at yahoo.com> [2013-02-08 05:03:51 -0800]:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>
> What's the difference ?

IMO, a "scripting language" is used to automate tasks that would
otherwise be done by a human sitting at a keyboard typing commands.
[Perhaps that definition should be extended to include tasks that
would otherwise by done by a human sitting and clicking on a GUI.]

> http://openerp.com OpenERP is written with Python and this is an ERP,
> Youtube is written with Python and used by Google.

IMO, neither one of those is replacing a person typing commands or
clicking buttons, so neither of those are "scripting" applications.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want EARS!  I want
                                  at               two ROUND BLACK EARS