__getattr__ Confusion

Saul Spatz saul.spatz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:29:07 EST 2013

Thanks, Peter.  I realize this is getting sort of academic now, as I know how to do exactly what I want, but I'm still confused.  Is __getattr__ a special case then, even for classic classes?

class Adder():             # python 2.7, classic class
  def __init__(self, x):
    self.x = x
    self.__add__= lambda other: Adder(self.x+other.x)
    self.__getattr__ = lambda name: self.test(name)

  def __str__(self):
    return str(self.x)

  def test(self, name):
    print("Hello from test")
    raise AttributeError

x = Adder(3)
y = Adder(4)
print(x+y)
x.junk()

7
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Saul\Documents\PythonProjects\test.py", line 18
AttributeError: Adder instance has no attribute 'junk'

Why does this work for __add__ and not for __getattr__?

Of course, they both work if I write instead

def __add__self, other):
   return Adder(self.x+other.x)

def __getattr__(self, name):
   print(name)