__getattr__ Confusion

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Feb 4 09:46:18 EST 2013

Peter Otten wrote:

> Saul Spatz wrote:
>
>> Now I have another question.  If dunder methods are looked up only in the
>> class, not the instance, why did defining __nonzero__ the way I did work?
>> Shouldn't I have had to define it with a def?  Is __nonzero__ a special
>> case?
>
> Unfortunately the situation is a bit more complex. Classic classes (like
> Tkinter.Frame) behave differently from newstyle classes (subclasses of
> object):
[...]
> So Steven is wrong here.

Peter is correct -- I've been using Python 3 too much, and completely forgot
about old-style classic classes, which only exist in Python 2.

Sorry for any confusion.

Nevertheless, everything I said about dunder methods applies to "new style"
classes in Python 2, and all classes in Python 3.

--
Steven