What does --no-skip do in nose?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Dec 31 20:50:40 EST 2013

On 12/31/13 12:49 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
> Environment:
>    Python 2.7.3
>    nose 1.3.0
>    Ubuntu 12.04 Linux
>
> I'm befuddled about how test skipping, and in particular, --no-skip,
> is supposed to work in nose.  I've got a trivial test file:
>
>> from nose import SkipTest
>> def test_skip():
>>      raise SkipTest
>>      assert 0
>
> If I run this, it skips the test, as expected:
>

>> $ nosetests try.py
>> Ran 1 test in 0.001s
>>
>> OK (SKIP=1)
>

> What's confusing is, if I use --no-skip, it STILL skips the test:
>
>> $ nosetests --no-skip try.py

>> Ran 1 test in 0.001s
>>
>> OK
>
> The only difference is it doesn't print the "S".  Am I just
> mis-understanding what --no-skip is supposed to do?

I don't understand why, but my tests confirm what you found: if a test
raises SkipTest, then it is marked as an S, and included in the count of
tests run.  If you run with --no-skip, then the result of the test isn't
displayed in the dots at all, but the test is still included in the
total count:

$ nosetests
F.S
FAIL: test_fail (test_foo.Test)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Users/ned/lab/test_foo.py", line 8, in test_fail
     assert 0
AssertionError

Ran 3 tests in 0.004s

FAILED (SKIP=1, failures=1)

$ nosetests --no-skip
F.
FAIL: test_fail (test_foo.Test)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Users/ned/lab/test_foo.py", line 8, in test_fail
     assert 0
AssertionError

Ran 3 tests in 0.003s

FAILED (failures=1)