[OT]Royal pardon for codebreaker Turing

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 27 23:16:11 EST 2013

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 07:30:34 +1100, Tim Delaney wrote:

> On 28 December 2013 04:34, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>> Personally, I think that people ought to throw a party celebrating
>>> Turing's rehabilitation, and do it right outside the Russian Embassy.
>>>

>> Any particular reason for the restriction to Russian Embassy?
>

> I suspect it's in reference to the difficulties homosexuals are likely
> to face when attending or competing in the 2014 Winter Olympic and
> Paralympic Games at Sochi.

I don't care about the Olympians. Their presence in Russia is voluntary,
and so long as they keep it in their pants for a few weeks (or at least
don't get caught) they get to go home again a few weeks later. Have a
thought for those who don't get to go home again. I'm talking about the
situation in Russia, where the government is engaging in 1930s-style
scape-goating and oppression of homosexuals. They haven't quite reached
the level of Kristallnacht or concentration camps, but the rhetoric and
laws coming out of the Kremlin are just like that coming out of the
Reichstag in the thirties.

--
Steven