Google Groups + this list

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Thu Dec 26 08:20:29 EST 2013

On 12/25/13 11:17 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
>> Kevin started this thread by asking a question.  Chris responded without
>> helping the OP, and talked about Google Groups instead.  That's not good.
>
> The only reason I didn't directly help the OP was because the code was
> misformatted and it was necessary to request that it be reposted.
> Perhaps I should have been clearer in saying "Please repost your code
> with correct formatting", but there wasn't much else I could have
> done.

In this case, the OP provided an error message which showed that he
wasn't getting a SyntaxError, so we could assume that the problem lay
elsewhere.  It depends how much work you want to put into overlooking
the mis-formatting of the code.

> Or maybe I should have just filtered everything from Google Groups
> into the bit bucket, because responding just creates threads like
> this. Do you honestly think that would be better? No response at all
> if the post comes from GG?

If *you* don't want to respond to any GG post, that will be fine: others
will respond.  Even better is to respond to the posts to help the OP.