vnc-problem with idle running as sudo on raspberry pi

Jean Dubois jeandubois314 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 08:27:35 EST 2013

Op zondag 22 december 2013 14:02:47 UTC+1 schreef Jean Dubois:
> I found the following solution to use idle on the raspberry pi
> as sudoer (which is necessary or at least comfortable when programming the
> GPIO)
> 1. Open a terminal
> 2. type cd ~/Desktop
> 3. type touch idle_as_root
> 4. type nano idle_as_root
> 5. type in sudo idle
> 6. exit nano
> 7. type in sudo chmod +x idle_as_root
> 8. Close terminal
> 9. Double click on the idle_as_root program on your desktop
> This all works fine as long as I use X, however
> I also want to use it via vnc
> For vnc I did the following:
> Installed script "tightvncserver" on the RPiwith the following contents:
> #!/bin/bash
> # /etc/init.d/tightvncserver
> VNCUSER='pi'
> case "$1" in
>    start)
> #    su $VNCUSER -c '/usr/bin/tightvncserver :1'
>      su -l $VNCUSER -c '/usr/bin/tightvncserver :1'
>      echo "Starting TightVNC server for $VNCUSER "
>      ;;
>    stop)
>      pkill Xtightvnc
>      echo "Tightvncserver stopped"
>      ;;
>    *)
>      echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/tightvncserver {start|stop}"
>      exit 1
>      ;;
> esac
> exit 0
> sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/tightvncserver
> sudo update-rc.d tightvncserver defaults
> when starting the script manually like this
> sudo /etc/init.d/tightvncserver start
> everything works as expected i.e. I can click on the idle_as_root-icon and
> it works as expected.
I was wrong writing idle_as_root worked this way. As a matter of fact,
this method also does not work as expected, as can be seen from this
message:

New 'X' desktop is raspberrypi:1

Starting applications specified in /home/pi/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/pi/.vnc/raspberrypi:1.log

Starting TightVNC server for pi