[newbie] trying socket as a replacement for nc

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon Dec 16 11:44:31 EST 2013

> This is what I got using telnet:
> [jean:~] $ telnet 10.128.59.63 7000
> Trying 10.128.59.63...
> Connected to 10.128.59.63.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> *IDN?
> KEITHLEY INSTRUMENTS INC.,MODEL 2425,1078209,C32   Oct  4 2010
> 14:20:11/A02  /E/
>
> after pressing CTRL-ALT-ALTGR-] I get this:
> ^[^]
> after which I get the telnet-prompt
> >telnet
> and I can quit telnet by entering quit
>

> kind regards,
> jean
> --

Looks like you don't have any prompt.
Try something simple first:

import telnetlib
host = '10.128.59.63'
port = 7000
t = Telnet(host, port)

def flush()
  t.read_very_eager()

def sendCmd(cmd)
  t.write('%s\n' % cmd)
  return flush()

flush()
print sendCmd('*IDN?')
print sendCmd('*OPC?')

JM

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.