[newbie] trying socket as a replacement for nc

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 16:14:07 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Jean Dubois <jeandubois314 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can "svn checkout <url>".  You might try Sliksvn if you're on
>> Windows, or if you're on Linux it's in synaptic or yum or whatever.
>> You can "wget <url>".
>> You can bring up the URL in a web browser and cut and paste.
> I'm using Linux, I did the following:
> svn checkout http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/bufsock/
> which resulted in a directory 'bufsock' being added to my home-directory,
> Do I have to run further commands on the files in this directory?
> How do I make Python aware of the existence of this new module?

You can put the files (bufsock.py and python2x3.py) in your current
working directory - Python will import from your CWD.  I believe
python2x3.py should be checked out via an external reference since you
used svn.

You can put the files in your site-packages directory.

You can put the files in a directory like ~/lib, and then
sys.path.insert(0, os.path.expanduser('~/lib')) .

I probably should make it pip'able, but I don't think it's going to
happen today.