Problem when applying Patch from issue1424152 to get https over authenticating proxies working with urllib2 in Python 2.5

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:14:15 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/12/2013 13:47, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM,  <harish.barvekar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this issue fixed. I am also facing the same issue of tunneling in
>>> https request. Please suggest how to proceed further
>>

>> You're responding to something from 2009. It's highly likely things
>> have changed.
>>

> Says who?  Sadly IMHO this has been one of the worst aspects of Python
> development.  I've seen 10 year old bugs happily sitting on the bug tracker.
> Thankfully that is slowly changing.  The core mentorship program is helping,
> plus the gradual reduction in the number of versions that need supporting as
> 2.6 is now out of support and we move towards 3.4.  However there are still
> 4275 open issues on the bug tracker. Anyone up to help out, the pay and
> perks are really good? :)

There've been two minor versions since the version cited in the post
(2.5), not counting Python 3 at all. It's definitely worth rechecking
on 2.7 or 3.3, to see if the same still occurs. (Or, of course, to
read the tracker issue, which in this case was known and needn't be
searched for, a fact that I missed noticing when I went reading.) Yes,
four years' worth of bug fixes does make it at least somewhat likely
that something's changed.

ChrisA