Disable HTML in forum messages (was: Movie (MPAA) ratings and Python?)

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 22:23:39 EST 2013

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:42:42 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
> Dan Stromberg writes:

> > I found a "remove formatting" button in gmail's composer, and used it
> > on this message. Does this message look like plain text?

> Still sent with an HTML part, so some other change must be needed to
> disable that.

> > There isn't a lot of e-mail programs that don't do HTML anymore.

> Many of the better mail clients allow the user to explicitly stop
> rendering HTML (but still have it available, as Steven points out).

> Disabling HTML in messages is a good idea: HTML rarely adds anything
> useful to a message in a discussion forum, but it can cause the mail
> program to do actions unwanted by the user (e.g. fetch images from
> elsewhere, or run ECMAScript, or invoke HTML rendering bugs).

When you click on send/reply in gmail, there's a small down-triangle
next to the dustbin, inside which you will find a plain text option

The problem is that then your other mails (may) become plain text and
your friends/recipients will wonder whether you've entered a time-machine
and gone back to 1990!!

Many people find it simpler to just use Google groups.  It also has its
problems (as do all methods!) but in sum its the easiest option to use.