Disable HTML in forum messages (was: Movie (MPAA) ratings and Python?)

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 20:31:30 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> I found a "remove formatting" button in gmail's composer, and used it
>> on this message. Does this message look like plain text?
>
> Still sent with an HTML part, so some other change must be needed to
> disable that.

Check the default formatting in the settings, or perhaps instead of
"no signature" there is an empty signature selected that is adding
formatting?

>> There isn't a lot of e-mail programs that don't do HTML anymore.
>
> Many of the better mail clients allow the user to explicitly stop
> rendering HTML (but still have it available, as Steven points out).

Unfortunately, Gmail has recently moved away from the explicit toggle
and now only has that "Remove formatting" command, which will remove
any existing formatting from the draft but won't necessarily prevent
it from accidentally slipping back in.