Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 14 05:00:56 EST 2013

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:58:14 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 13/12/2013 23:17, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> On 12/13/2013 03:10 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems like we're now in the later stages of the 15, three minute
>>> rounds.  The trainer won't throw in the towel, the referee won't stop
>>> the fight and the boxer himself won't quit.  Is jmf actually trying to
>>> get himself killed?
>>
>> His credibility with me has been long dead.  :(
>>
>> --
>> ~Ethan~
>
> With me it never lived, we've simply had to put up with his FUD for 16
> months.

Mark, do you really mean to say that you were prejudiced against JMF
before he even write a word here?

Strange thing to say, since he did actually identify a real performance
regression, even if he has since become obsessed with demonstrating that
a micro-performance slowdown means that Python is mathematically and
logically broken.

--
Steven