CP65001 fails (was re: ...)

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 03:26:01 EST 2013

Le dimanche 15 décembre 2013 06:07:09 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :

> > On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:43:41 -0500, Terry Reedy wrote:
>

> >> This was reported by Victor Stinner as part of
>
> >> http://bugs.python.org/issue19914
>
> >> to explain how cp65001 causes behavior like this with Python's
>
> >> interactive help() function (which more for paging on Windows).
>

> >>   >>> help(str)
>
> >> Not enough memory.
>

> > Terry, I see you have closed the bug report. I think you were a little
>
> > hasty.
>

> I might have been premature, but I was not hasty. I read the SO reports
>
> and though about it for an hour or so while looking at other issues. I
>
> did not see any use to leaving it open as I did not see any realistic
>
> propect of a useful and acceptible patch to Python. The OP himself said
>
> that i/o did not work with 65001 and that not using it fixed his issue.
>

> > The ultimate cause of the bug may be the failure of Window's
>
> > "more" command when the code-page is set to CP-65001, but that doesn't
>
> > necessarily imply that Python shouldn't, or can't, do something about it.
>

> I believe running Python on Windows with cp=65001 falls in the category
>
> of "Don't do that". This is based on my experiences and the reported
>
> experience of other developers who have tried and failed to make it
>
> work, reinforced by the SO thread and a couple of other web pages.
>

> > The interactive help system already supports different pagers, depending
>
> > on the environment. I think that it could fall back on a more primitive
>
> > pager if the preferred one fails.
>

> Do you know if 'more' actually signals failure?
>
> Do you know if there are any other situations in which a pager fails?
>

> > The relevant code is the pager() and
>
> > getpager() functions in the pydoc module. The patch won't be trivial, but
>
> > I think it can be done, and I think it should be done. Although possibly
>
> > for Python 3.5 rather than a bug-fix version. Your thoughts?
>

> My thought is that if the only situation in which a pager fails is one
>
> that one should not use, because other things will also fail, then a
>
> patch would not be worth the bother.

If I'm understanding a little bit about coding of
characters, fonts, chars "inputing", I should say
I never really understood how all this stuff is
arranged. (I never found a real explanation too).

There is something, which may be very deeply bound to
the system (kernel ?). As an example, entering a
char with Alt+0XXX always works accordingly to my (the?)
localized windows version. Entering a char with
Alt+XXX (not the missing 0) uses the OEM (bios?)
encoding.

jmf