python programming help

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 00:10:30 EST 2013

On 12/08/2013 08:05 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I suspect many
>> of them are motivated by political dislike of Google as
>> a corporation, or want to stay with the 1990's technology
>> they invested time in learning and don't want see change.
>
> Neither. I don't at all hate Google (I quite like the company, and
> what it's done for the world), and I use plenty of other Google
> services - as you can see, I'm posting from gmail here.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.  There have certainly
been others who have publicly railed against Google.

> The only thing
> I call out against is Google Groups, because it is buggy.

And yet you are publicly on record as referring to GG users
as "twits".

> I'll cry out
> against anything else that's buggy, too. Of course, I'll first try to
> do things quietly (bug reports to the maintainers), but ultimately,
> the solution to buggy software is to NOT USE IT. If Google doesn't
> care enough about Groups to bring it up to the standard, then their
> penalty has to be reduced usage. In fact, Rurpy, you are actually
> encouraging the faulty system, because you're providing ad impressions
> and usage stats every time you read or write via GG. When less-buggy
> systems see more use than more-buggy systems, big companies have an
> incentive to fix bugs.

We all use buggy software every day.  *Every* piece of non-trival
software is buggy -- you already know that.  So you are saying
that bugs that annoy *you* are ones that *others* should change
their practice to join your boycott to fix.

You sound like some Unix hard-asses of the 1990's who, by god, weren't
going pollute their software with any kind of MS Windows compatibility.
No supporting a broken OS for them.  They would keep the software pure
and Unix-only and force Microsoft to fix their broken OS.
Well, most of that software and those programmers have been eliminated
by Darwinian selection, and today cross-platform (or Windows only)
software is the norm.

So good luck on your crusade to force Google to do things the way
you think is right.  (Especially given the large and growing number
of Python project mailing lists *hosted* on Google Groups.)

Until you're successful, I will try to encourage GG users to post
more compatibly to avoid pissing off the old farts, do what I can
to support Rusi's attempt to put together a tool to make it easier
to do so, and finally, live with double-spaced "crap" because that
is the lesser of two evils, the other being creating an excessively
picky and hostile place for newcomers who just want to learn more
about Python.