python programming help

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 00:07:51 EST 2013

On 12/09/2013 12:57 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> However it does not change the fact that people here have responded
>> in rather extreme way to GG posts including calling GG users "twits"
>> and claiming GG posts damage their eyesight, as well as repeatedly
>> denying the obvious fact that GG is much easier to use for many than
>> to subscribe to a usenet provider or to a mailing list.  One frequently
>> sees words like "crap", "slimy", "rubbish" etc to describe GG posts
>> which is pretty intimating to people who just want some help with a
>> python question using a tool they already know how to use and have
>> had no complaints about in other places.
>
> Please note though that there is a difference between describing the
> users as twits and describing the posts as slimy. Suppose you write a
> letter (the sort that goes on a slab of dead tree) and, instead of
> placing it in an envelope and putting a stamp on it, you hand it to
> the Arac News Insertion Device[1] to do the enveloping for you. He
> does a reasonable job of it, but he uses cobwebs instead of paper for
> the envelope. Sure, it's still readable... but your readers now have
> to rub off a whole lot of cobwebs before they can read what you said.
> That makes your post distasteful, without it being at all your fault -
> other than choosing to use Arac's service. That's how I see Google
> Groups posts. Someone's gone looking for help about Python and has
> found that. It's not their fault that they don't know about
> alternatives; so I point out the alternatives.

Nevertheless, that kind of strong judgmental language is
very likely to be taken as reflecting at least in part on
the poster, especially when the person is from a different
culture or unsure of their English skills.

And if you truly just want the poster to be apprised of
alternatives, I sure you'll grant me the right to point out
the alternative you consistently leave out: the option to
continue to use Google Groups.