One liners

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 19:10:11 EST 2013

On 12/06/2013 04:54 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> Does anyone else feel like Python is being dragged too far in the direction
> of long, complex, multiline one-liners?  Or avoiding temporary variables
> with descriptive names?  Or using regex's for everything under the sun?
>
> What happened to using classes?  What happened to the beautiful emphasis on
> readability?  What happened to debuggability (which is always harder than
> writing things in the first place)?  And what happened to string methods?
>
> I'm pleased to see Python getting more popular, but it feels like a lot of
> newcomers are trying their best to turn Python into Perl or something,
> culturally speaking.

I have not seen any evidence that this trend of yours is widespread.
The Python code I come across seems pretty normal to me.  Expressive and
readable.  Haven't seen any attempt to turn Python into Perl or that
sort of thing.  And I don't see that culture expressed on the list.
Maybe I'm just blind...