One liners

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Dec 6 19:07:42 EST 2013

On 12/6/13 6:54 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> Does anyone else feel like Python is being dragged too far in the
> direction of long, complex, multiline one-liners?  Or avoiding temporary
> variables with descriptive names?  Or using regex's for everything under
> the sun?
>
> What happened to using classes?  What happened to the beautiful emphasis
> on readability?  What happened to debuggability (which is always harder
> than writing things in the first place)?  And what happened to string
> methods?
>
> I'm pleased to see Python getting more popular, but it feels like a lot
> of newcomers are trying their best to turn Python into Perl or
> something, culturally speaking.

I agree with you that those trends would be bad.  But I'm not sure how
you are judging that "Python" is being dragged in that direction?  It's
a huge community.  Sure some people are obsessed with fewer lines, and
micro-optimizations, and other newb mistakes, but there are good people too!

--Ned, ever the optimist.