interactive help on the base object

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Dec 8 07:11:35 EST 2013

On 12/7/13 11:21 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:

> [[Terry Reedy:]]
>> How about something like.
>> The default top *superclass* for all Python classes.
>
> How 'bout you foo<l>s just admit that you didn't realize you've been
> confused this whole time?  (It *is* possible isn't it?)

Mark, if you want to participate in this forum, please refrain from
opening with an insult.  I've tried talking with you here in the past,
and got nothing but sarcastic sneers and put-downs for my trouble.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and believed that previous
contentious points (no tokens on punched cards, initializing arrays to
NaN, etc) were due to misunderstandings that could be worked out.  You
treated me with contempt and refused to discuss the details that would
have let us understand each other.

I know you have a theory that all of computer science has been confused
for half a century.  You expounded on this before, but haven't managed
to explain your point clearly, and have not convinced anyone that you
have a better model than the ones we're already using.

Perhaps we are confused, and you have a better idea.  I don't know yet,
though frankly I doubt it.  I'd be glad to learn about your ideas, but
you have to present them seriously, and with some humility, to get them
to spread.  So far, repeated attempts to get details from you have failed.

> Mr. Ewing says "base" has to be interpreted as an *adjective* because
> otherwise it would mean the BOTTOM (like the BASE of the pyramid),
> while Terry responds that it is the TOP (*super*class).  Earlier,
> Steven D'Aprano wanted to argue that this distinction was irrelevant,
> but obviously it can't very well be both at once now cannit?
>
> Could-the-world-be-so-crazy-confused-and-then-shoot-the-messenger?
>
> Sadly, yes.

I'm sorry you feel martyred.  It's not because you bring truth to
crazy-confused people.  It's because you can't explain yourself, and you
push people away with your style.

We try hard to treat each other with respect, and I'll ask you to do the
same.