interactive help on the base object

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 23:46:35 EST 2013

Thanks for the info.

On Monday, December 9, 2013 9:46:30 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:58:09 -0800, rusi wrote:

> > PS Can some kind soul inform me whether I could convince GG to unicode
> > my post?

> Does GG not give you some way of inspecting the post's full headers?

Well I spent half hour looking around -- both inside GG and of course
searching before asking.

> Anyway, here you go:

> Your plan succeeded.

> Personally, I wouldn't stress too much about this. While it would be
> nice, and desirable, for GG to always use UTF-8 instead of picking a
> different encoding based on the phase of the moon, the main thing is that
> it picks a valid encoding. So far I see no reason to accuse GG of using
> an invalid encoding. Valid but legacy encodings are better than
> mojibake :-)

Heh! I'm hardly a heavy-duty user of unicode -- just keeping track of bugs
and workarounds. I am of course using 'bug' in a wide pragmatic sense of
preventing communication.

Mojibake is a technical problem.
Non (human) communication is a more fundamental problem.
Keeping an eye on the latter is (for me) a bigger issue than the former.