Code of Conduct, Trolls, and Thankless Jobs [was Re: Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly]

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Dec 2 17:23:35 EST 2013

On 12/2/13 4:25 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 12:45 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:

>>> Mark, I consider your continual direct personal attacks on other posters
>>> to be a violation of the PSF Code of Conduct, which *does* apply to
>>> python-list. Please stop.
>>
>> The attacks that "Joseph McCarthy" has been launching on the core
>> developers for the last 15 months are in my view now
>> perfectly acceptable.  This is excellent news.  Everybody can now say
>> what they like about the core developers and
>> there's no comeback.
>>
>> You can also stuff the code of conduct, it's quite clearly only
>> brought into play when it suits.  Never, ever aim it at
>> somebody who goes out of their way to stir things up, always target it
>> at the people who fight back *IS THE RULE HERE*.
>
> Mark,  I sympathize with your feelings.  jmf is certainly a troll, and
> it doesn't feel like anything has been, or is being, done about that
> situation (or for that matter, the help vampire situation... although I
> haven't seen any threads from that one lately -- did he give up, or has
> he been moderated away?).  However, I would suggest that when you are
> venting, you write the email and then just delete it.  I personally
> don't mind the light and humorous posts, but when the name-calling
> starts it makes the list an unfriendly place to be.  And, to be clear,
> the coddling of trolls and help-vampires also makes the list an
> unfriendly place to be.
>
> Terry, would it be appropriate to share some of what the moderators do
> do for us on this list and the others?  And what does the Code of
> Conduct have to say about trolls and help-vampires?
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

We have pointed help-vampires at the Code of Conduct:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-November/660343.html

people who see his questions, and helps keep threads from exploding. For
example, this message to the newsgroup
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/fdhF_Fr4fX0/9B0iK8jGigkJ (sorry
for the groups link, didn't know how else to link to a post) doesn't
appear at all in the mailing list, and therefore, in gmane.

But the mailing list ban isn't why you aren't seeing posts from him: he
hasn't posted again since that linked message, on Nov 21.

I think he's not posting in part because we adopted a uniform stance of
politely refusing to answer his questions, or even completely ignoring
his questions.

Of course, he could be back at any time.  I hope we'll continue to
present a calm unified front.

--Ned.