Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 17:32:09 EST 2013

On 02/12/2013 22:24, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 12/2/13 4:44 PM, Ned Batchelder wrote:

>>> The attacks that "Joseph McCarthy" has been launching on the core
>>> developers for the last 15 months are in my view now perfectly
>>> acceptable.  This is excellent news.  Everybody can now say what they
>>> like about the core developers and there's no comeback.
>>>
>>> You can also stuff the code of conduct, it's quite clearly only brought
>>> into play when it suits.  Never, ever aim it at somebody who goes out of
>>> their way to stir things up, always target it at the people who fight
>>> back *IS THE RULE HERE*.
>>>

>> The point is that in this thread, no one was making attacks on core
>> developers.  You were bringing up old animosity here for no reason at
>> all, and making them personal attacks to boot.
>>
>> I don't see how you think wxjmfauth was "going out of his way to stir
>> things up" in *this* thread.  He made three comments, none of which
>> mentioned the FSR or any other controversial topic.  Can't we respond to
>> the content of posts, and not to past offenses by the poster?
>>
>> Additionally, wxjmfauth's past complaints about the flexible string
>> representation were not personal.  He didn't say, "Joe Smith is the
>> worst loser in the world for writing the FSR".  He complained about a
>> feature of CPython, baselessly, but he never attacked the people doing
>> the work.  His continued complaints were aggravating, I agree. I don't
>> know that they rose to the level of "disrespectful".
>>
>> I know that your behavior here is disrespectful.
>>
>> As to when the code of conduct is brought up, it's only fairly recently
>> that it has been mentioned in this forum.  There have clearly been posts
>> in recent memory (the last year) which could have been examined in light
>> of the code of conduct, and were not. I think we are using it more
>> uniformly now. You helped me realize better how to apply it to this
>> forum, and I thank you for that.  I welcome your help in applying it
>> better still.  But it applies to you as well and I don't think it's too
>> much to ask that you abide by it.
>>
>> The way to improve this list is to respectfully point to and demonstrate
>> community norms and ask people to conform to them.  Spewing vitriol
>> isn't going to fix anything.
>>
>> --Ned.
>>

> BTW: I think Mark has kill-filed me, so if anyone agrees enough with me
> here to want Mark to see it, someone else will have to respond before he
> gets the text.
>
> --Ned.

I've kill-filed you on my personnal email address which I asked you
specifically *NOT* to message me on.  You completely ignored that
request.  FTR you're only the second person I've ever done that to, the
other being a pot smoking hippy who thankfully hasn't been seen for years.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence