[error] [client 178.59.111.223] (2)No such file or directory: exec of

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Aug 28 20:59:49 EDT 2013

On 28Aug2013 18:44, Prasad, Ramit <ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:
| Ferrous Cranus wrote:
| > Yes Uli, the script metrits.py is being invoked by Apache Web Server which in turn runs under user
| > Nobody.
| > So, that mean that? user 'nobody' has no write permission to /home/nikos folder?

As Ramit says, yes. Your own directory listing earlier showed "r-x" for the
group "nobody"; that says "no write". The file was the same: "r--".

| Yes. You should make it group writable with "nobody" as the group. Use chmod and chown
| to change permissions and owners (i.e. groups).

To be explicit:

  chgrp nobody the-file
  chmod g+w the-file

| Normally I would have thought you would have a public_html or www directory in your
| home folder that would be readable/writable to the web server (and where you should
| write).

Readable, yes. Writable? Generally mad. Apaches are often configured
to run as "nobody" or "nofiles" specificly to ensure that it cannot
write to stuff. The last thing you want is to have the website's
files writable by the apache; it is asking for defacements and other
hacks.

Nikos should make a specific directory for these files and give
ONLY THAT write permission for "nobody". And then use a full pathname
to the directory in his CGI script - a relative path makes ill
founded assumptions about the current working directory of the
script.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

A gentleman does not go motoring about after dark.      - J. Lucas