Help regarding urllib

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sat Aug 24 09:07:57 EDT 2013

malhar vora wrote:

> On Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:15:01 PM UTC+5:30, malhar vora wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>

>> I am simply fetching data from robots.txt of a url. Below is my code.
>>

>> siteurl = siteurl.rstrip("/")
>
> Sorry for last complete. It was sent by mistake.
>
> Here is my code.
>
> siteurl = siteurl.rstrip("/")
> roboturl = siteurl + r'/robots.txt'
> robotdata = urllib.urlopen(roboturl).read() # Reading robots.txt of given url
> print robotdata
>
> In above code siteurl is fetched simply from local text file.

Why aren't you showing us what is in that local text file?   Or more
specifically what siteurl turns out to be?  I suspect it's missing the
http://  prefix

    <snip>
> IOError: [Errno 2] The system cannot find the path specified: 'www.bestrecipes.c
> om.au\\robots.txt'

Looks to me like it decided this url referred to a file.  That's the
default behavior when you don't specify the scheme identifier (eg.
'http")

Also it might well have been necessary to specify what Python version
and OS you're running this on.  For example, the single backslash
character is specific to Windows.  (The doubling presumably is an
artifact of how the error message is displayed, eg. look at how repr()
displays strings)

--
DaveA