Python and mysql 3 tier programming

Gary Roach gary719_list1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 25 16:53:31 EDT 2013

On 08/23/2013 08:38 AM, Jason Friedman wrote:
>> System Debian Wheezy Linux
>> Python 2.7
>> Mysql 5.5.31
>> Apache Server
>>
>> I am somewhat conversant with html, css, SQL, mysql, Apache and Debian
>> Linux. Actually I have been using Debian for over 10 year. I spent over 5
>> year, prior to retirement, programming database based applications in
>> Foxpro. I can also struggle through Java Script. I am just starting to use
>> python. I've started with development of a rather complicated document
>> archiving system with about 5 different levels of users and over 100 years
>> of documents. photos, etc. The database setup has gone smoothly and other
>> than one trial web page I'm leaving that for later. Finally to the problem.
>> Where does python start and mysql stored procedures stop and visa versa. I'm
>> trying to stick to a 3 tier philosophy but am having trouble figuring out
>> where the dividing line is between the two packages. Further python seems to
>> like cursor tables a lot and Oracles Mysql 5.5 discourages their use. Are
>> they talking about the same thing.
>>
>> My problem is mostly with the basic architecture of the system. I think I
>> will be able to figure out the code. Also, any comments on the use of the
>> Django framework for this project.
> Hello Gary,
> Is your primary goal to write code or is it to have available to you a
> document archiving solution?
> If the latter, you will probably save time by using an existing system
> (e.g., Google Docs).
> If the former, I have a few thoughts.
> One, you should probably be using Python 3 rather than 2, I think the
> command is "sudo aptitude install python3".
> Two, I think of stored procedures as being good at manipulating data
> really fast.  With a document management system most activity will be
> retrieval rather than manipulation.
Hi Jason;

Thanks for the reply. Partly this is an experiment and learning process.
In addition, I am never completely satisfied with other peoples software
so like to control my own. It may not be the most efficient way to go
but I'm retired and have lots of time. Since writing the original
missive I decided to try the Django framework and have found that it
pretty well forces the choice of architecture. As for as the version of
Python; I use the Debian Wheezy linux release. Debian is pretty
conservative about their stable releases. This is good for stability but
doesn't always supply the latest versions. I have Python 3 on my system
but will have to be careful about using it. I may break other things.
Another damned investigation.

Thanks again for your reply

Gary R.